10/22/09

Remember When Parsley Was Just a Garnish

About 20 something years ago, when my family would eat out in restaurants, my food would come out from the kitchen with a sprig of curly, green weed on the side. I remember asking my mom if it was edible and she said it was just a garnish. I would nudge it off my plate, eating the “healthy” fried fish, or slab of well done meat and carbohydrates I had ordered.

This weed, it turns out was parsley. Parsley is known as “one of the world's seven most potent disease-fighting spices which also include Ginger, Oregano, Cinnamon, Turmeric, Sage, and Red chili peppers”. It is high in iron, vitamin C, beta carotene, and B12. Parsley is saidto help with bad breath, relieve swelling from bug bites, and amongother things dissolve gallstones. And by the way it is delicious and lemony when picked fresh form the garden.

Today I have a large pot of parsley growing on my back steps. Sometimes I chop it up and garnish the top of a dish but mostly I add it to all kinds of meals.  Adding it to a salad, meat, and pastas adds a wonderful fresh zing to any dish. Here are a few of my favorite wasy to use this green wonder.

Red Potato Salad
 (Perfect for summer cookouts!)
2 lbs red potatoes- quartered
¾- 1 C Mayonnaise (light or regular)
2 tsp Mustard
½ Tb Salad Vinegar
½ Celery Stalk- chopped fine
½ small Onion- chopped fine
¾ C Fresh Parsley- roughly chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
Boil potatoes in salted water until slightly tender. Drain and cool. In a large bowl, add in cooled potatoes, and the rest of the ingredients. Toss lightly to help keep potatoes mostly intact. Chill and serve. 

Basic Couscous
(This is such an easy side dish, very quick and flavorful.)
½ C Couscous
1 C Water or Broth
1 Tomato- chopped
1 Cucumber- peeled, seeded and chopped
¼ feta or goat cheese- crumbled
½ Parsley- chopped1 tsp
Olive Oil
Salt and pepper to taste
Boil water, add couscous, cover and turn off burner. Let sit for 5 minutes, fluff with a fork after a few minutes, cover again.Add other ingredients, fluffing together with a fork. Serve warm or cool. Couscous goes great chicken, beef, pork and fish.

Yummy!!

originally posted on Myrtle Beach Moms by Neva

4 comments:

  1. I remember those days, too.

    Great recipe's.

    Blessings, andrea

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good lesson. I still thought of parsley as a garnish -- I did know that it's supposed to be good for bad breath -- but I am going to try that couscous. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We make a home made potato, ham & cheese soup, and always sprinkle Parsley in it :) Glad to know it serves a purpose more than just adding color to a dish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you. I don't like using the stems because it makes the flavor just a tad too intense for me, but the leaves are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin