9/2/11

Laundry Soap

Boo Yow!

For $.71 I made two gallons of laundry soap. That's right, SEVENTY-ONE CENTS!!!

Here's how I did it. It is easy. Takes about 20 minutes to make.

1 c Washing Soda (Arm and Hammer, NOT baking soda, find it in the laundry supply aisle) $3.00 appx.
1 c Borax $3.00 appx.
1/2 bar of soap (I like Ivory, also can use Fels Naptha- use 1/3 of a bar for this one) $1.00 for three
Lotsa water
1 container with a lid that will hold 2 gallons(I use a square catfood bucket sans catfood)

Add 6 cups water to a pot, grate your soap into the pot. Bring to a low boil, until soap is melted. Stir with a wooden spoon.

Add borax and washing soda. Stir until dissolved. Turn off heat. Add 4 cups of hot water to the container. Pour your dissolved mixture into your container. Then add 1 gallon + 6 cups of cold water. Stir until combined.

Put lid on and leave for 24 hours. The mixture is not solid but not liquid. A little weird. I use 1/2-1 cup per large load.

To add a scent: use only essential oils. I haven't come up with the exact measurement for this. I have tried lavender and also eucalyptus. They both smell good in the container but don't seem to add any scent to the clothes out of the dryer.

You can thank me by sending your savings to Funds-for-Mostly-Flummoxed-to-Quit-Her-Day-Job.

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm...I just bought some Borax, I should try this. I won't be sending you my savings though 'cause I'm broke.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin